Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Greatest "Job?" Ever

I can't believe God allows me to do what I do on a full-time basis. I get to work with the greatest people daily, I have an awesome choir and orchestra that make me look good, and I get to tell people about Jesus. Today, I had the honor of making hospital visits. I went by one of the retirement homes and visited with one lady. She couldn't talk due to her condition, but she could give me hand motions and I could read her lips (most of the time). As I finished praying with her, she gripped my hand and wouldn't let go. She just laid there smiling at me and squeezing my hand. She didn't have to be able to talk for me to understand. She was just so appreciative that I had come and taken the time to pray with her.

Witnessing our prayer time together was this lady's roommate. I met and talked with her, as well, and told her about Jesus. She began to cry when talking about her family and how she has no one to visit her. But, she got a thrill out of the fact that I was paying her some attention.

I have opportunities all around me to tell people about Jesus. I've got to be more sensitive to the open doors the Lord constantly presents me with. I have the answer to all of their problems - I can't keep it to myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in ministry with my parents. At the time, I couldn't appreciate the impact we were making on the lives of the people who laid in those hospice beds. However, as an adult, I look back and miss those hand-squeezings. It is the humblest and most selfless form of outreach to minister to those who can't verbally express their gratitude. We are so amazed, Jeff, at your true sincerity and love for the Lord. Stay encouraged and never forget what an example you are being to us, your sheep. -- Anne

Unknown said...

I lost my mom on August 7, 2002. She a stroke that left her unable to talk. She was in a Convalescent hospital in Austin, Tx for 6 weeks. A layperson from a church who didn't know her, came and visited her almost daily. I know it make a huge impact on her and on me. I could tell how much it ment to her because of moms beautiful expressive eyes.
Thank you for sharing this encounter. I am sure it made a big difference in her life.