Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Chasing Dreams

I've blogged recently about our view of God. Our view is shaped by how close we are to Him. Just to clarify, think about how objects appear smaller the farther away we are. We can't truly touch it, examine it, or understand it until we are up close to it. And when we're close to that object we can finally attest to the size of it. It's the same with God. We can't truly know Him for Who He really is unless we're up close to Him. And as a dreamer, that is when our dreams take flight. As Mark Batterson puts it, our dreams will never be bigger than our view of God.

I've got a huge dream that I've been living with since childhood. However, I never believed in it until I grew closer to the Lord. I've always dreamed of being a song writer and having something published. Now, I know, many of you out there have already lived out that dream. But, to me it is one of those intangibles. One of those dreams I believed I'd be chasing for a life time. I might still be. However, I'm taking a big step today towards seeing that dream lived out.

I'm pitching three songs today to a publisher. It's a weird feeling putting yourself out there. But, what do I have to lose. If they reject all of them, I'm no further away from being published than I was. (At least that's what I keep telling myself.) So, we'll wait and see what happens. Hopefully I won't receive that letter that says "don't call us, we'll call you". That wouldn't be good.

6 comments:

Cat said...

I have every faith in you. You have a talent and more importantly you have a heart for worship which shows in your performance and writing. I pray that your dreams are realized.

Unknown said...

ditto, Cat.

Anonymous said...

If "I Believe" is a sample of your song writing ablilty, they would be fools not to publish your work.
Of course, this is a completely unbiased opinion.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I agree with Bev. If "I Believe" is just and example of your talents, I can't wait to hear your other songs.

Jeff Bumgardner said...

Thanks, guys. Even if they're not picked up, we can still arrange them and do them at Immanuel. (Maybe not all of them...just the good ones:)