Thursday, July 05, 2007

Does It Float?

Yesterday was quite a day. I had some down time, which was good, but we also got together with some friends for a 4th Bash and Fireworks show. They had a pool so I went out to sit with some of the guys and keep an eye on the kids. Everything was cool until the ladies decided to join us...which normally is a great thing...but that is usually the time in any party when things can go a little crazy. You know as well as I do that any party involving a swimming pool always ends up the same way. Some poor unexpecting soul ends up fully clothed at the bottom of the water. Well, this year, that poor soul was me. I had gone to the deep end of the pool to check on one of the kids, and that's when it happened...I was pushed from behind by one of the women.

Normally, things like this are fine and I'm cool with it. I am one who likes to play practical jokes, so I don't mind being the recipient every so often. However, I had my cell phone in my pocket. That's right! Everyone always thinks little pranks like this are funny until they realize they didn't think it through. I've tried everything. Taking it apart, drying it out with a hair dryer...but the fact of the matter is it is fried.

Again, I like practical jokes. Just make sure before you push that next fully clothed adult into the deep end of the pool that you play that scenario out in your mind. I use my phone to record all of my new song ideas...you know - themes, lyrics, etc. All gone. Hopefully, the Lord will recall most of them to my memory.

Now, for the good news. I do have insurance on the phone. So, I'm going down later today to Verizon in Redlands to get it replaced. My KRAZR has been the best phone I've ever had. It will be sad today when I put it to rest. It's okay Teresa - it was funny...I guess....but payback is coming.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would be a good excuse for an iPhone... When life give you lemons, make some lemonade... Larry

Unknown said...

Jeff, I washed my phone in the washing machine, I took it to Verizon. since I didn't have in insured, I was told that all I needed to do is buy a new battery. You might want to try that. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Well, if I had read the whole comment, I would have known the great results.

Don Morris said...

Nice save with the insurance. I got into a pool with my phone last year, wondered why my pocket was buzzing and nearly killed a couple'a kids as I sloshed out of the shallow end. (Okay, that last bit was a little overboard ... overboard :-)

Anyway, I just took out the battery and let the phone air dry for a few days. It fired up just fine after that.

Jeff Bumgardner said...

I appreciate the advice. I've air-dried, hair dryer dried, dry dried...everything I can think of. It is fried. It did fire up today for a moment - got really hot - then started smoking. "Hmmmm...I think I need a new phone." The smoke finally did it for me.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jeff, I am so so so sorry for the loss of all the memory in your phone. But, again for the record: It's Gretchen's fault.

Jeff Bumgardner said...

Teresa,

It's okay. It made for a great blog.