Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Take Time to Smell the Roses

I've come to the conclusion that my children know a lot more about life than me. Believe me, I will never let them know that little bit of blackmail information, but it's true. God seems to constantly be teaching me little lessons through my children. Let me explain what I mean.

I can't stand to be late. Yet my children have no concept of time. As a result, it seems that I am constantly requiring my family to be on my schedule. Whether or not we have plenty of time, I end up rushing everyone else to get ready as I feel they should...in a timely manner. I know that this is what is best for them - to be on a schedule, to understand what it means to be punctual, to be well organized and responsible - but am I stealing away some of their innocence in the process?

On Monday, October 16th, my birthday (in case any of you missed it, I do accept late gifts), Jody and my girls, Abby and Ella, came by to take me out for lunch. As we were leaving Chili's, I turned, as usual, to find Abby because she was dragging behind. Not fully realizing what I was seeing, I found her stooped down in the flower bed, so I rushed her to get out of the dirt and into the car. It was her response that got me. In a little whiny voice she said, "But Daddy. I just wanted to see what these pretty flowers smelled like."

I'm such a jerk! Why can't I look at life like my 4 year old? God's word says to "wait on the Lord and He will renew your strength". He also tells us to "be still and know that HE is God". My 4 year old seems to understand a lesson that has apparently taken me 32 years to comprehend. Will I learn this time, or will this be another lesson that I allow to slip by? At least the blinders are off on this one, finally. It's just one more area in my life that God wants to clean up, dress up, and make more like Him.

No comments: