Friday, October 13, 2006

All Through the Night

Well, we did it! We survived our first big sleepover. Both Caleb and Abby had a friend each spend the night last night, and things actually went pretty well. The kids all seemed to get along fine, and then went to sleep...after they ate pizza, baked and decorated cookies, ate them, watched Curious George and Scooby Doo, put up an indoor tent, went to the bathroom 83.7 times, and drank all of the Sprite and Milk. In hindsight, perhaps letting them drink all the Sprite and Milk is why they went to the bathroom 83.7 times, but hey - we're still new at this sleepover thing. But seriously, the kids really seemed to have a great time.

It's really cool to look at your kids and see yourself. That's what happened to me last night. I instantly remembered having friends over for the night, or going over to their house, and those memories have stuck with me all of these years. It's amazing to me how the simplest things can make the biggest impacts. I want to invest in the lives of my kids, even when it means that I have to sacrifice a night of peace and quiet. I saw the excitement in the eyes of my kids last night, and I want to see that spark more often. Yep....I think I'll make that investment as often as my sanity will allow.

No comments: