Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Let's Get Spiritual

As you each probably know by know, God has called our family to serve Him at Immanuel Baptist Church in Highland, CA. We are very excited about the ministry opportunity, as well as the area we will now call home. Before visiting the church for the first time, Jody and I had never been to California...for any reason. As we got off the airplane and stepped into the airport, our breath was taken away. Right in front of us were huge windows looking outside of the airport. As we looked out, we were blown away by the most incredible mountain scene you could ever imagine. It was absolutely gorgeous! There were palm trees with huge mountains in the background.

As I looked on this scene, my mind began to wander. I thought to myself, "God, you are so awesome. The fact that you made these mountains, even just for this very moment (my enjoyment), is just a small glimpse of your awesome power." It wasn't until I was reading in my quiet time this morning that God spoke to me again about that moment. In Psalm 90, Moses is praying to God. In verse 2 he says, "Before the mountains were born, before You gave birth to the earth and the world, from eternity to eternity, You are God."

Before even the mountains were born. Wow. Before anything we can even begin to imagine, God was God. Beyond our ability to fathom or comprehend even the thought of Him, He is God. What then, gives us the right to question anything He chooses to do? How do we justify doubting His goodness, provisions, and plan for our lives when we can't even understand the fullness of the One we call Father? Moses goes on to say, "Our lives last seventy years or, if we are strong, eighty years. Even the best of them are struggle and sorrow; indeed, they pass quickly and we fly away....teach us to number our days carefully so that we may develop wisdom in our hearts."

Lord, grant me the wisdom today, to follow you completely. To allow you to work in and through me as YOU choose. Help me to open my arms to You, as You have always done for me, and take You in completely. Allow the very air I breathe today to be from You as my sustainer. And grant me the opportunity to bring You glory, even though I am unworthy to even mention Your name. Be glorified, Lord. Be magnified, Father. Those mountains, whose beauty takes my breath away, are nothing compared to You.

3 comments:

Brent Fike said...

I can't believe it. You didn't even invite me to help you move this time. I need new contact information!!!! Say hello to the Kids for Judi and I.

Go Dores!!

Jeff Bumgardner said...

You are one of many who has mentioned my having too much time on my hands. My blogging, however, is in place of my journaling...SO, I'm not spending that much time. These things just come to me. It doesn't take long. Perhaps I need to review the things I put into print before I say something I shouldn't. You think? AND BRENT FIKE - keep your college football comments to your self.

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome.. i read this in my quiet time somewhat recently... I think the mountains are probably Gods best creation.. i think its metaphor to our spiritual life.. high and low,yet a beutiful creation....