Monday, May 14, 2007

Ministry Lessons Learned

In 13 years of ministry God has taught me a lot of things. Some lessons were harder for me to learn than others, and many other lessons still await me. However, I feel that I've grasped some throughout the years and thought I'd share few of them with you.

1) Dream Big - you don't need to work the details out to everything. Dream big dreams that only God can accomplish. Be diligent and sold out, then watch as He accomplishes the vision.
2) People are People - where there are people there are problems. In ministry, we are called to work with a diverse group of people. Not everyone is going to see things the same way. Instead of being defeated, use this to your advantage. Plug people into positions that suit their strength and build on that.
3) Teach people to invest in their ministry. People will be sold out to a ministry they have made a personal investment in.
4) Look at things as a first time guest.
5) Don't leave things alone. Every aspect of your ministry can always be done better.
6) Enjoy your people. Hang out with them and make a personal investment.
7) Experiment often. This is a key element to creativity.
8) Make your family your #1 priority.
9) Keep learning.
10) Build relationships with other churches. After all, we are on the same team!

These are just a few lessons - I'll share others with you at some point in the future. If you want, leave me a comment by clicking on the "comments" link below and let me know of a lesson God has been teaching you lately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Building relationships with other churches is an area I believe God is laying on my heart. The churches in the Inland Empire need to come together for prayer for our city and for the people within our city.

Last Wednesday night I was having a time with God and connection with other churches through prayer for our families was something God revealed to me.

This evening our SS Class (the ladies) met at 6:00 p.m. to start praying for our children and families. We will meet every Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. to pray.

Jeff Bumgardner said...

I've been contacted by 2 different people recently who left messages for me concerning totally different needs. They both shared with me that no other church called them back. One was looking for a worship band to lead at a rally, and the other was looking for worship leaders to lead in Yucaipa. And no other church would even return a call to say they couldn't help or anything? We must become proactive in reaching this community and current culture or we'll lose them. I want to take advantage of every opportunity we have to see souls saved and lives changed. Sign me up!