Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Worship at Immanuel

I always like to cause the average worshiper on Sunday morning to think; to use their minds and engage their hearts in worship. We should always understand and internalize the lyrics of any song as we offer it to the Lord. Each song is not just something chosen by the Worship Pastor for the purpose of filling a spot. Instead, each has a purpose to help put into words our commitment and heart-felt gratitude. We need to understand the scripture and intent of each song we sing.

Today, I pulled things back in our contemporary worship service. I felt that we needed a time of intimate, reflective corporate worship. So, I gave the band the day off and I just sat at the piano and led the church in worship. As they entered, Psalm 5:7 was on the screen, and the stage had low lighting to draw people's attention to the scripture. I then began to play and led us through the chorus of "Here I Am to Worship". We moved on into "All I Need" and "I Need Thee Every Hour". We capped it off with "Revelation Song" which I had a female lead vocal on as the congregation sang with her. I think it was just what we needed today. It was simple. It was without distraction. It was genuine.

I long for those worship moments with the church.

1 comment:

Brad Stephens said...

It did go well for 3rd service. We do need a time now and then to step back and reflect. Good job. Glad to be on such a great worship team.