Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What Are You Afraid Of?

The Christian life certainly is somewhat of an adventure. Before Jody and I were married I told her "stick with me and I'll show you the world". My meaning behind that was that we will have a life of adventure and I will give you the best I have to offer. However, I had no idea God would actually show us the world by moving us so many times throughout our marriage. After 9 years of marriage we have lived in 11 different houses, in 5 different states, served in 5 different churches, and have had 3 kids. I'd say our ministry and marriage has been an adventure already! (And we have loved every minute of it.)

Though a life of such apparent chaos may seem uninviting to some, we have been on an absolute thrill-ride. Because God has chosen to use us in various churches, we have gleaned so much from our experiences, both good and not so good. In each situation I questioned why God was choosing to move us so frequently. Looking back it is clear to me that He had a plan for us in each location for a season. It was bigger than me and my desires. Instead, it was about Him and His will for our lives.

Each move has been filled with uncertainties, but no move has ever been filled with fear or doubt. We have known that God has had His hand on us, and each calling to a new place of ministry has been clear. What kills me is to see believers who are so fearful of what God might do with their lives that they never give Him full control. They would say that they want to be in God's will, but they never step out of their own comfort zone and into the realm of faith to truly see what God's will is. Now, I'm a firm believer that God hasn't called all of us to leave our families and move across the country. But, I do believe that the calling is the same. God wouldn't have any of us to receive half of a blessing. Yet so many people settle for that.

Our world would be radically changed for the glory of God if we would each act on the faith that we proclaim. Go ahead. Be radical. Dream big dreams! Ask God for the greatest adventure He can muster for you. Give Him the rest and the best of your life in humble obedience to Who He is. Only then will you see Him do things you never thought possible. It is at that point that you will understand what it means to be in the center of God's will. Act on your faith...what are you afraid of?

No comments: