Friday, March 23, 2007

Celebrate Good Times, Come ON!

As I walked up the front sidewalk and approached the large building, I had a feeling of anxious anticipation sweep over me. It was like a flashback that I couldn't shake. I felt like a 10 year old who had been caught throwing rocks. As I crossed through the doorway I smelled the faintness of ammonia mixed with bleach...a lethal combination. The fragrance of greasy pizza and corn filled my nose. There was no doubt where I was or what was about to occur. I had just jumped into a time machine and had been transported back to ...... (dramatic organ music) dun, dun, duhhhhn....Elementary School!!!

We had a meeting with Caleb's teacher and were to receive the results of his STAR standardized testing. In weeks prior, we had been told that he probably would not do very well because of the transition from Tennessee to California. They do things slightly different here, and they had worked on certain things that Caleb had yet to do in Tennessee. However, when the teacher sat down with us she had a look of surprised amazement, and joy, as she pulled out Caleb's results. She informed us that he scored at the top of his class in EVERY subject. My nervousness subsided as I realized that I wouldn't have to make up excuses, spank children, or slap teachers. None of that would take place. Instead, I leaned back in my tiny little plastic chair, pulled my adult-sized legs out from under the child-sized table and poked out my mammoth-sized chest that had swollen with pride. "That's my boy!" I thought to myself as I soaked in all of the great accolades from his teacher. The party is on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Doesn't surprise me a tad-bit!"

No matter what you think he may have did do, or have not didn't learned'd in "Tin-uh-C";
When it comes to genetically linked cerebral functionalities, as well as, mental superiority traits;
The facts can't be denied.........
That's just the Bumgardner in him!

Sorry, it'll be a lifelong problem, blame Jesus.