Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Believe

For as far back as I can remember I have loved to write music. Silly little songs that made absolutely no sense to anyone but me eventually developed into songs that had a purpose. I remember the week I was saved I penned a chorus that is still with me today. The chorus was simply "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. I am the way, the truth and the life, and in heaven you can spend eternity." I was so excited to put the message that had radically changed my life into music that it was written before I could even get off Jekyll Island (this is the place the youth camp was held when I was saved).

Fast forward to 2005. I now have 2 children of my own and write from a different perspective. My songs are still very personal, but they are from varying life experiences now. God gave me a melody for a chorus (where else but in the shower) and I couldn't get it out of my head. Finally, the words came and I sang them to myself until I was sick of the song. Weeks later while driving to hospital visitations in Memphis, TN, I began thinking about different things God had taken me through over the past several years. As I reflected on each situation, the verses formed. I put the verses with the chorus from weeks earlier, scribbled out a quick bridge and "tada", the songs I Believe was born.

Hit the LiveTV button on your TIVO and we're in Highland, CA in 2007. Last Wednesday night I had the privilege of presenting the song I Believe to the Immanuel Choir. Tonight we'll work more of the parts and dynamics. I can't wait to get it ready and lead worship with it.

Be encouraged. Even in the midst of the storm in our lives we must understand one common truth...God is still in control. He uses these times in our lives to shape and mold us so that our impact for Him can be even greater. How powerful would your testimony be without that struggle in your life last year when you didn't know how you were going to pay that bill? How would you be able to offer council to that person who is losing their loved one to cancer if you hadn't suffered and cried through a similar loss? God tells us in Romans 8:18 that "the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us." What we are going through is just a speck in the broad scheme of eternity. Have faith, press on, and allow God to use every situation in your life for His glory!

No comments: