Friday, December 22, 2006

One Empty Chair

Well, today was the day. My grandmother's funeral was today, and it was bittersweet. It was definitely hard to say goodbye, but it was a great celebration in my heart to know that she is with the King. I had prepared to share memories that stand out to me of who she was, and I had prayed that I would have complete control over my emotions. So, as I began, things seemed to be ok. But, that moment came when the flood of emotions could be held back no longer. It was more difficult than I had imagined.

It rained all day long. In fact, it rained so much that the funeral tents couldn't hold the water that had collected on top of them any longer. The rain began leaking through and there was nowhere to escape. In the end, I think my uncle put it best when he said, "I've dreaded this day my whole life, and now that it is here I don't want it to end." Our lives have to go back to normal. Our responsibilities have to be resumed. But our memories never have to fade. Though there will be one more empty chair at Christmas dinner, the place she held in our hearts will remain full. For I am confident that she has filled the seat that awaited her at the Master's table. This Christmas she is probably looking at my empty chair there and looking forward to my arrival. What a feast and celebration that is going to be.

1 comment:

Jeff Bumgardner said...

You don't know what it means to me to "read" those words from you. It's in times like these that we find that God is indeed sufficient for all of our needs. Not that things don't effect us, but that instead He carries us through them...and in the end, we find that we are stronger, more mature, and more complete in His sight. I love 'ya, bro, and I'm praying for you.