Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Twilight Zone

When I was a kid, one of my favorite shows to watch was The Twilight Zone. I loved the old black and white ones. But in the 80s, they came out with a new series of The Twilight Zone, and I loved it, too. Even the movie was awesome to me. For those of you familiar with the show, you'll remember how strange phenomenons would occur and freaky things that we would never expect to see or experience in "this world" would happen. Recently, I think I may have entered into my own "twilight zone" or sorts. Let me explain:

This past November, I met a man for the first time at our Christmas tree lighting. During our initial introductions he asked me where I was from. I told him that I was from Augusta, GA. His eyes lit up and he said "I was born in Augusta, GA".

I responded by saying, "Really? I was born there, too, at St. Joseph's Hospital."
"Oh, my gosh!", he said. "Me too." The same hospital? Come on. And here we are in Southern California having this conversation.

Today, I had lunch with him and he mentioned to me that he grew up on Telfair Street in Augusta, GA. I was blown away, because my mother grew up on Telfair Street. Strange world, huh?

After lunch, I called a lady who was the mother of my childhood best friend. For whatever reason, I just had him on my mind last night and today, and thought I would call his "old" phone number just to see if I could get in touch with him somehow. Come to find out, they had just been talking about me earlier this morning. And then I called. The weird part of this is that we haven't talked, written, or corresponded in any way in over 20 years. How ironic that she would have that conversation about me on the day that I would call. (cue Twilight Zone music.) (Perhaps I'm the topic of conversation every day in their family. But, I think that would be even freakier.)

Maybe I'm making more of this than is really there. But, it has been freakishly cool. So, what's your "twilight zone" story?

No comments: