Thursday, October 02, 2008

Natural Disasters

I am a southern boy. I must admit it. I was born and raised in Georgia, which just so happens to be in the south. Get the connection? Okay. Good. So, I grew up understanding what rain was. Of which we see very little in Southern California. Also, I have a firm understanding of what it means to be under a tornado warning.
But, last night took the cake. (mmmmm, cake. I just had a craving.)

I don't make it a habit of falling asleep on the couch, but last night it happened. I had just sat down to watch a little UFC action that I had recorded. I hit the play button, and that's all I remember. The next thing I know I am awaken by the couch shaking around. I sat up, only to feel the floor shaking, too. It soon stopped, as the realization set in that we had just had an earthquake. Remember the Chino Hills quake back in July? Well, this one was only a 4.1, but it was closer to us. So, we felt it.

Again, I'm used to storm warnings and things of that sort, but you're not going to turn on the weather channel and hear about an earthquake that's going to rumble your area beginning at 3 this afternoon. There's no warning. Just the shaking. Pretty interesting. Kinda exciting. I just don't want too much excitement. A few seconds is one thing, but a life altering quake would not be so good.

1 comment:

Kath said...

I was still awake when that one hit! Lived here all my life, and that one scared me.