Monday, March 10, 2008

Biker in Training

Okay...I've been doing the dad thing for a couple of weeks in the area of teaching my son how to ride a bike. For those of you who don't know, Caleb was born with severe clubbed-feet. This means they were turned inward and upward. He has had 4 major surgeries and extensive physical therapy to correct this. Even with all of that, he will never have more than 75% flexibility in his ankles. So, he doesn't have the range of motion when he's peddling. It's just how it is. So, bike riding is coming a little later in life for him (he's 7).

Well, it has got to be the most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life. I've tried everything I know. I bought him a new bike he really liked. I have encouraged. I've pleaded. I've even spent hours running alongside him holding on to the seat. But, in the end, he's no closer to riding than he was when he was trailing around with training wheels. I am about ready to stick my own head in the spokes when he gets going down hill really fast. I've had it!

So, any advice out there? I can't be the only one...can I?

5 comments:

kim g said...

Hey Jeff. Jim may have some tricks up his sleeve about the bike thing. He used to work at a bike shop and he LOVES riding bikes. Give him a ring.

kim

Cathy M said...

Jeff,
Wow, I had no idea. I'm sorry I don't have words of advice, but hopefully words of encouragement. It sounds like you and Jodi have already been through great trials through all of this. Think back to the day when you saw him walking on his own for the first time. I bet you were Praising God! Stay strong, you will feel that same way again when you see him ride off on his own for the first time. Caleb will be the next Lance Armstrong and he will owe it all to God and his dad! Cathy

normat said...

Jeff, Don't get discouraged. Riding without training wheels is over rated! I have a couple of nephews and a grand daughter who did not ride without training wheels until 8or 9. I think it was because they were smart enough that they didn't want to get hurt. My daughter and son-in-law finally took Vanessa to the park so she could ride on the grass without fear of cuts and scrapes and she was free-wheeling after just a couple of afternoon rides.

Hope your little guy finds his way to the 'Tour D' Highland' before you expire running alongside!
Norma

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff, Ms. Becky here from Children's Choir @ Crosspointe -

He'll get it - I promise. He will probably figure it out one day when he is out by himself with his bike. Or when he sees the other kids riding. My Sam taught himself, told me not to come outside - of course I watched from the window, winced with each fall and bump, but he got it.

Caleb will too!

Give my love to your family

Just at note: I am recently married- to a fellow UNO member - Steve - exciting time for us all. God has really blessed our relationship.

Becky Cornelius

Cat said...

Hey Jeff, Cat here. Put the training wheels back on so he feels more in control. Matt wasn't an early rider either. He'll tell you when he wants to take them off. Caleb's an awesome kid and will get it!