Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Hymns

I love the hymns. I was raised on the hymns. In fact, in seminary I took many classes that were all about hymns; Hymnology. I enjoy history, as well. So, I will often times do little studies on the history of many of our hymns and hymn writers. One of the funniest things I've found lately is a little known hymn written by Isaac Watts. Isaac Watts is known for his preaching, writings, as well as his hymns. Such hymns are Joy to the World, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, Alas! And did my Saviour Bleed, At the Cross just to name a few. But, this one little hymn is so unlike any of the others. The title alone makes me laugh, but I've also included the lyrics below. They're deep (maybe a little too deep), but in light of the title, the lyrics become funny too. Check them out:

Blessed Is The Man Whose Bowels Move

1. Blest is the man whose bowels move,
And melt with pity to the poor;
Whose soul, by sympathizing love,
Feels what his fellow saints endure.
2. His heart contrives for their relief
More good than his own hands can do;
He, in the time of gen'ral grief,
Shall find the Lord has bowels too.
3. His soul shall live secure on earth,
With secret blessings on his head,
When drought, and pestilence, and dearth
Around him multiply their dead.
4. Or if he languish on his couch,
God will pronounce his sins forgiv'n;
Will save him with a healing touch,
Or take his willing soul to heav'n.

I have written a 5th verse that I think Isaac should have included:

5. One thing with prayer will heal your pain
Or take away whatever grieves 'ya,
So pluck it from your grocery shelf
And drink a little milk of magnesia .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are hilarious!
Mom

Kath said...

Are we singing that any time soon? ::evil grin::

Mark Celoria said...

How'd I miss that one? Too funny!

Marcie said...

OK, most of us love the old hymns... so "they" say we don't sing enough hymns...if the choir sings this one, do you think they'll stop complaining? NOT! And what look would Pastor have on his face? tee hee hee

Todd said...

This is hilarious! I'm stealing it for my blog.