Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Southern Boy in Southern California

Have you ever had one of those days when you just didn't care?

Sure, everyone has. But me...well, I have one of those days about every 17 minutes. You can tell if you look at my yard right now. I have friends of mine who, without fail, are behind a lawnmower every Saturday at 8:30am cutting that grass. The yard is edged and manicured, and the edge of the grass looks like it is about 6 feet thick.

You know what I'm talking about. You've seen those yards.

Well, I won't pretend that my yard is that. I've been out there. I've used the weed eater to edge (that's what we do in the south). I've gotten dirt slung up in my eyes and smelled like gasoline. And for what? So that my yard still won't look as good as everyone else's? IT'S GRASS PEOPLE! That's all. Dogs even chew it and throw it up. I've got better things to do than sculpt my yard...like, watching tv or something.

Please don't misunderstand me. I will keep my yard nice looking, and mowed...most of the time. Just don't hate on me if there is a patch of crab-grass growing somewhere, or if one of those ugly little yellow flowers peeks itself above the grass line. It's just grass.

One day, when I make my first million, I will hire a gardener who will keep my yard in tip-top shape. In the south, that means that there will be no broken down cars on cement blocks out there, and that my flower-bed covering is not pine straw. I will then spin and dance on my 6-feet thick cold, squishy grass
as I celebrate as one who has the Augusta National golf course in front of my house. But, until that day, I'll go on being average. And like the common-folk, will just have regular, somewhat green grass out there. I think I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I am SO ok with that, too.

My neighbor is borderline yard-overachiever. And I am borderline yard-underachiever. So I think we even out the street nicely.