Wednesday, January 02, 2008

When We See Him

Many times while leading worship, I will share a scripture or a thought that helps to better bring into view what we are singing. The danger with music, as with anything, is that when we become very familiar with a certain song, we run the risk of singing from habitual memorization as opposed to from a heart of worship. However, if take just a moment to meditate on why and what we are singing, we are better able to direct our worship to the Lord.

This past Sunday night, we sang an old hymn titled "What a Day That Will Be". For those who are unfamiliar with the song, one portion of the chorus says,
What a day that will be
When My Jesus I shall see
When I look upon His face
The One Who saved me by His grace


I mentioned that I don't know what I will do when I see the face of Christ. I went on to say that I don't know if I will fall to my face, speechless before Him. If I will raise my hands and shout Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty. I just don't know. Following that statement, the scripture of John's account in Revelation 1 was brought to my attention by someone. There, we read that John fell to his face as a dead man.

Well, I understand that was John's reaction. And, it is true. That is what God's word says John did. However, if you look at other scripture we see accounts of people seeing the Lord and reacting differently. One such account can be found in Isaiah 6. When Isaiah saw the Lord he saw himself for who he truly was. His reaction was to respond verbally by saying, "Woe is me, for I am ruined. Because I am a man of unclean lips. And I live among a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts."

His reaction was much different than that of John's. With this in mind, I don't know what I will do. It will simply be enough for me to be in the presence of the King for all of eternity.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will probably be speechless...can't wait...What a glorious day that will be.

ps Congratulations on Georgia's win.