Friday, September 28, 2007

The Things We Do For Our Kids

The San Francisco Giants have made it clear...they are not going to re-sign Barry Bonds after the end of this season.

Caleb and I were invited to tonight's Dodgers/Giants game at Dodger Stadium by a friend and his son. We were to sit in box seats near the Giants' dugout. I was to have the chance to see Barry Bonds play live and boo him with the rest of the Dodger Blue faithful. Father and Son bonding time. Baseball under the lights. One of the game's biggest rivalries. I talked with Caleb and pumped up my presentation. Then something flew out of left field and into my line of vision as he responded with: "But Daddy. That is the same night as the fall festival at school."

What? You would rather get a piece of candy for picking up one of 30 rubber ducks out of a mold covered wading pool than to go to a Dodger game? You would really choose to win a tattoo for throwing a plastic ring around a stuffed animal? You would pick the chance to throw a bean-bag through the mouth of a wooden pumpkin that is being held up in the wind by a broom duck-taped to it's back? For what? A 3 pack of sweet tarts? Are you serious right now? Where is Ashton Kutcher? Am I being punked?

Those were all of the thoughts that went through my head. Of course, my real response was "are you sure? Okay then. We'll go to the fall festival...and we'll have fun." But, inside I was dying.

The things we do for our kids. In reality, we did have a great time at the festival. It was a lot of fun. And the cool thing was that our kids had a blast. So did we...just watching them.

But, oh what it would have been like in Dodger Stadium tonight....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh... the sacrifice! Don't worry, Jeff, we have extra Dodger tickets ALL the time, and you are welcome to them (front row, behind the dugout!). I know that doesn't make up for not getting to "boo" Bonds, but I assure you the "boos" went on regardless!!!! Keep up the awesome parenting!

Anonymous said...

boooh, slap that kid. dont really.. but what the heck.. thats like eating skittles rather than steak..

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation...Bonds didn't play...

Unknown said...

Well, Jeff, I think I will put your name is as "Father of the Year".

I guess that is why God decided that I shouldn't have kids.. If It had been a game between the Red Sox vs the Yankees, well I know I would have chosen to go the game.

Jeff Bumgardner said...

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your comments. And Anne....I will definitely get with you on those tickets if you have them next year. Thanks!