Saturday, September 15, 2007

Magic Numbers

Just so you know, I am a big baseball fan. I love everything about it. I especially love to be at the games. I've never been happier than when I'm sitting in a baseball stadium. The crowd, the energy, the noise, the food. The whole experience drives me to want to do it again and again. But, even as a big fan, there is still a line that I consider "too much".

I saw that line crossed when Mark McGuire passed the single season homerun record and the ball sold for $3 million dollars. Yes, you read it right. $3 million dollars. For a baseball. And, once again as Barry Bond's record breaking career homerun record ball sold for $752,467. Now, that does not seem so bad in comparison. However, it is still outrageous. Wow. Wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of money to blow on a baseball?

By the way, I finally broke down and got a myspace site. I had refrained for many years, but it seems to be the only place that I can keep up with old college friends, choir members from former churches that I've served, and friends from seminary. I've had the page for 2 days and already I've spoken with 7 people that I haven't had contact with in over 10 years. Amazing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff, I understand your amazement...but if I had the money and the baseball player was Curt Schilling and they were auctioning off his bloody sock that he wore in the 2004 playoffs, I would really be tempted.

Billie

Jeff Bumgardner said...

I can't even begin to tell you how many levels that disturbs me on. Bloody sock? Wow. That's a fan.

Unknown said...

Sorry I disturbed you, well, not really lol. If you had seen him pitch that game with all the courage he had..with his ankle bleeding, you would, I think, understand.

Billie

Anonymous said...

glad you joined myspace.. ill have to myspacanize you.. im on it at least 3 hours a day