Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sad, But True

Please make sure your sarcasm detector is turned on and tuned up for the following:

It is amazing how many people in the church know so much about so many things. I can't tell you how much advice I get from people based on their...well, based on nothing. I am not complaining, mind you. I am simply stating a fact. In a church with nearly 2500 in attendance each weekend, can you imagine the amount of input I get on music? Now, I am not writing this because anyone has been mean or un-Christlike in an email or letter. On the contrary. Most people simply state their request(s) and leave it at that. But, the worship ministry is not KSGN. We don't have an all request line. How could we?

Let me explain it like this: In any given week I may get 10 requests for a specific type of music. In addition, I may get 10 different requests for certain songs. Along with that, I may get 10 requests for a specific type of music that is in contrast to the previous 10 requests for a totally different kind. (Sarcasm alert) And just for the record, I love having people "thank me in advance" for fulfilling their requests. "No problem, sir. In fact, I had no idea what we were going to do for music next week until you approached me. I'll be sure to get right on that."

Okay....now that I've gotten that off my chest, let me say that there is absolutely nothing more that I would rather be doing than worship ministry. It is my heart. It is my passion. It is my calling. I know that people have their favorites. But, ask yourself this question: Is your favorite more important than someone else's? We can't possibly be successful as a church and as a worship ministry by going in so many different directions to meet the needs of everyone that we miss the needs of everyone. Over the past 15 years of ministry, I have learned that if you try to please everyone, you please no one.

In a nutshell - here is the vision of the worship ministry. This statement will not give you the details of how to accomplish this - it is simply a broad view. The worship ministry exists to glorify God, to lead and encourage, teach, and mature believers in worship. But, part of our purpose also involves attraction. We desire to attract the world to the church by glorifying God through whatever means possible. If you have a Kingdom vision, then the details of seeing that vision realized will not distract.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope after that enormous exhale, you are able to take a HUGE breath and begin fresh... you deserve it. Jeff, your job is inherently impossible. You are in charge of "setting the mood" for worship every week, and there are 2,500 opinions as to how the mood should be set... for THEM. You also must show grace and restraint in EVERY circumstance, and you are rarely exhorted or encouraged, because who has time for that when we are busy critiquing and analyzing? If the spirit moves and people raise their hands in worship, YOU have succeeded. If worship is dull and uneventful, it is not the fault of those who came and neglected to submit to God, but of you, who must have chosen the wrong songs to underscore the move of the Holy Spirit. I know about this because I did your job full-time for eight years at two different churches and had the same experience as you each time. Before that, I worked under my father who was a Music Director for 20 years, and his experience was also the same. Bottom line: you have been "called," not hired; be open-minded, but also steadfast in what you spirit tells you, because God is guiding you; don't be afraid to tell your critics to check their hearts (which may include advising them to "fly a holy kite" or "take a Christian flying leap"); and in the words of my former boss and Pastor, Barry McMurtrie of Crossroads Church, Corona, if someone leaves the church because they don't like the music, then they are worshiping the wrong "God." Finally, though we may not say it enough, the majority of us are excited about this music ministry! The worship on Sundays is real and sincere... God is moving! Don't forget it.

Cat said...

Jeff, I don't envy you your job and I'm just glad that we have you. It really is a good job you have a great sense of humour, but next week can we sing How Great Thou Art, thanks in advance - Cat

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help today. Its funny that it was on the same subject. I used some of the things we talked about in a reply back to my friend. It's one thing to hear about comments you get but I had no idea how it felt to have it said directly to me. Now I know first hand just a little bit about what you go through week in and week out. I bet I'm not the only choir member who will run into this on our mission to bring in one new member.

gretch said...

No Cat, I think we should sing Israel Houghton's I Am Not Forgotten....thanks Jeff in advance for doing this....

Anonymous said...

So...

does that mean that I can't request How Great Thou Art, Victory in Jesus, In the Garden, and all of the other real worship songs?

Just wondering...

Jeff Bumgardner said...

Whether it's In or Out of the Garden doesn't really matter...new or old, it's all the same...I can't make requests happen.

Anonymous said...

Preach it brother! I personally love the songs we are singing, and really, as long as I'm happy that's all that matters!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I say Amen and Amen. Working with people in the church could be one of the hardest jobs there is....but God teaches us so much! I am really proud of how you and Jody are allowing God to use you!