Saturday, January 13, 2007

A Magical Night

Jody and I celebrated our 9th Wedding Anniversary January 10th. However, if you check out your calendar, you'll notice that Jan. 10th was a Wednesday....and what do I do on Wednesdays? Well, it's not go out on a date. So, instead, we celebrated on Friday, January 12th. I wanted it to be more than dinner and a movie, so I scouted out something unique for us to do. I had remembered seeing a Travel Channel special on a place in Hollywood called The Magic Castle. So, I checked into that.

It turns out The Magic Castle is a private club. The only way you can get in is to be a member or have an invitation from a member. So, I worked my own magic and got an invitation. (Actually, our high school pastor, Rob Signs, is a magician, and a friend of his is a member. End of story.) So, off to The Magic Castle we went.

It started off with us approaching a book shelf and saying a magic word (sorry guys, I can't reveal my tricks here in this public venue). The book shelf slid into the wall and we entered the castle. It was absolutely amazing. We ate dinner, which was wonderful, requested obscure songs to be played by a piano playing ghost named Irma (who actually knew B52 songs and Broadway show tunes), which left us with the remainder of the evening to roam around the castle and see as many different magic shows as we could stand. I'll share some of the events with you in later posts. If I were to tell you everything now, you'd be reading for a while. But, I will say, we were entertained and amazed. Jody and I even got to get in on one of the acts. It really was spectacular.

After leaving the castle at about 11:30pm or so, we rode down Hollywood Blvd. to see Hollywood Walk of Fame, Mann's Chinese Theater , the Kodak Theater and several other sights. It was surreal. We are planning on going back to Hollywood just to see many of the other sights when we have the opportunity to get out and walk around a bit. It was a great night. Several times we had to stop just to take it all in. The realization that we were actually in Hollywood California seemed like a dream. It was by far one of our best dates ever, and an anniversary we'll never forget.

No comments: